Annunciation of Ustyug (Russian: Устюжское Благовещение) is a Russian Annunciation icon, created in Novgorod in the 12th century, and one of the few icons which survived the Mongol invasion of Rus'. The Annunciation of Ustyug is currently held in the Tretyakov Gallery.
«Annunciation Ustyuzhskoe (from Ustyuzh)». Novgorod icon fom Tretyakov Gallery (Russia).
A history of this icon is known because it was described in several 16th–17th-century sources, including the Second Chronicle of Novgorod. The chronicles depict the scene of transferring it by Ivan the Terrible from Saint Sophia Cathedral to Moscow in the mid 16th century. The exact date of transfer is unknown, as different versions state 1547, 1554 or 1561. At first it was held in Cathedral of the Annunciation in the Moscow Kremlin, but in the fore-part of the 17th century was moved to Dormition Cathedral. Circa 16th-17th century, it was decorated with gold, gemstones and pearls. After the shutting of Dormition Cathedral in 1918, Annunciation of Ustyug was taken to the State Historical Museum. In 1920 scientists started to work on its restoration. In 1930 the museum handed it over to Tretyakov Gallery, where in 1935 restoration was finally finished. It was also restored in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Annunciation of Ustyug gained its name due to the legend that Saint Procopius of Ustyug predicted the fall of meteorite near Veliky Ustyug town. He predicted subsequent storm, tornado and conflagrations as well. He tried to convince Veliky Ustyug's citizens to confess their sins and pray for the city to be saved, but they did not believe him and only in the last minute, when the storm had already started, escaped to the church and started to pray. The whole story was outlined in Life of Procopius of Ustyug (Russian: Житие Прокопия Устюжского), written in the 17th century. A legend, which appeared in 18th century, said that Procopius himself prayed in front of Annunciation to be saved from beating with "stone hail".